Keep Me Covered

A couple of fun cover shoots so far this year, both of them on bargains. (I have another one coming up soon, a cover for the Washington Post Magazine).  I love my clients.  Seriously, working with talented, nice people is such a plus.  Don't forget to be good to your clients and your vendors.  The difficult "artist" type is a myth.

May cover of Shop Smart on the stands now!
Muchas Gracias to:
Melissa Paterno Plonchak - Creative Director
Tammy Fernandez - Art Director
Karen Shinbaum - Photo Editor
Prop Stylist - Angela Campos
OK, another one of my favorite peeps in this silly business is Laura Baer,
who is now Art Director/Creative Director at NJ Monthly.  We have worked together
off and on for years at Prevention and Good Housekeeping.  Keep it coming Laura!

The cover that made the cut is the grid on white below.  Although it's not my first
choice, it's not my choice and I am happy for a cover.  It's my job to give the client what they need
and I will use one of the others in my portfolio along with the opening spread below, which I love.

Also thanks to:
Susan Brierly - Style Editor and Stylist
Karen Hoffsten - Susan's Assistant
Deborah Carter - Managing Editor

Susan made a blog post too, see it Here.


The winning cover.

You may or may not know that on a cover shoot we tend to spend
the entire day shooting the cover and variations on the theme.  The NJ Monthly
job was multiple days, the Shop Smart Job was one full day working through
different constructions on the one set... we actually started on Yellow and ended up on light pink.

Here are the two winning shots, the one below made the cover.





A wee 6 seconds behind the scenes.  I used something like 9 lights
on this one which is unusual for me, but Fun!





The NJ Monthly shot was done in my home studio in New Jersey of course... actually it's my converted 3 car
garage studio.  I split my time between here and shooting in NYC.
From L to R:
Susan Brierly - Style Editor
Laura Baer - Art Director
C'est Moi
Karin Hoffsten - Stlyist Assistant

and yes, those are the same vintage Polaroid sunglasses that are on the covers.